Cruising Ngo Dong River

Cruising Ngo Dong River
Ladies selling their wares

Saturday, April 23, 2011

It’s a happy dog’s life for some, for others, it is a living nightmare

By Carole Ann Goldsmith Copy right © 2011 All Rights Reserved
Tying a tiny puppy up on a chain is both cruel and very negative towards the puppy’s growth, learning and quality of life. I saw a tiny puppy maybe six weeks old chained up to a post in Hoi An Vietnam last week.  I called out to the owner and told him that it was cruel. He took no notice. Is this puppy destined to a life of being chained to the post... I hope not. Are there any anti animal cruelty groups in Vietnam. I do not know.
I see dogs free, wandering the street, sitting on the restaurant floor, curled up under the chair, sitting in a hairdressing salon, three little terriers sit on a step – watching the world go by.  
Also in Hoi An, a Scottie type dog, tied up to a post, lying on the ground, unable to move very far. Another with a short lead, with nothing to lie on but rest its head on a concrete sink. Is that its destiny too?
In Dalat, a village 800 km south, I hear a dog barking near the markets, its cries of desperation are unheard by it’s owner – or maybe they just do not care. I see it in the distance, a larger German Shepherd type dog. The chain is short coming from above, the dog is so distressed and frustrated from being tied up, he is repeatedly going around in a circle non stop.... he did that yesterday when I walked past... I wish so much I could let him go, away from this living nightmare.
On the street towards my hotel, there are two cages, I see the tired eyes of two dogs – their life – to stay in the cage... do the owners take them for a walk. I did not see them out of the cage, so I do not know.
I walk further and three dogs are wandering along the street, like they are going out together. They have freedom....Why can’t all animals have freedom and not be chained or in cages.
In Hanoi, I see a tiny tan dog wandering the park behind its owner, free and happy.
The next day, at one of the apartments in the centre of Hanoi - I see a similar tiny dog, on a balcony in a bird cage, barking, calling to be let out of its prison. The owner, a middle age woman, comes out to the balcony and pokes the dog, still in the cage with a thick stick. She then proceeds to shake its cage and turn the cage upside down. I call out to her – No – she stops and goes back inside – is the tiny animal going to suffer this torture all its life.
An elephant beside a monument in Hue, its leg is chained - a short chain, he can only move about 20 cm, a life tied up and never to be free to roam the jungles again. Another elephant is lead around with a man riding it. Also no freedom as it is later chained.
Animals deserve freedom...especially a six week old puppy..chained to a pole, an elephant chained to the ground. Those tying up these poor animals should be tied to a chain themselves to experience the living nightmare.   Set them free – I wish I could!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment